Sunday, February 7, 2010

Does it hurt to get a ingrown toenail removed?

I have a ingrown toenail that needs to be removed and i wanted to know if it hurts?Does it hurt to get a ingrown toenail removed?
I've had this done twice and basically the only thing that hurts is the local anaesthetic that they inject both sides of the infected toe until it's fully numb. Then after that it just feels weird, you shouldn't feel anything because it's numb. You will feel a little discomfort after the local anaesthetic wears off though for a good few weeks. If I remember rightly you need to get it redressed once a week.Does it hurt to get a ingrown toenail removed?
:( I Just had this done today. My ingrown toenail was bad and I kept accidentally bumping into things with it owww. So the Doc just froze the toe and also put an elastic band on the base of the toe to stop the blood flow. The doc said it would feel like the p-rick of the needle when they freeze your mouth when they remove a tooth and that was exactly how it felt. It hurt a LOT worse on the infected side. They poke ya on 2 different nerves of the toe. Make sure he/she tells ya when he/she is going to poke ya so you can prepare yourself. He left to deal with another patient while waiting for it to go numb. Then he pulled on the nail and asked if it hurt and it still did so he froze it a bit more. Then a few minutes later he pulled on my toe again and it didn't hurt. So he started. The next thing I know he was wrapping my toe with gauze, I was like....your done already??? He said yep. I was like wow I didn't feel it at all. He kinda laughed, yea that was the idea. So before they rip your nail off have them do a lil test to make sure it is completely frozen as they may need to freeze it some more. I didn't feel a thing while they removed the nail but after it kind of throbbed like it did after I banged it accidentally a couple of times but that is about it. So wear sandals that will have lots of room for a BIG FAT toe as there will be lots of gauze on it. I wasn't planning on having my toenail removed and couldn't wear my sandal after :s. He also gave me Tylenol with Codeine which I am very thankful for. hope this helps some. Oh yea it is kind of hard to walk right now. So you will have to take it easy this weekend. I can't put any weight on the infected toe.
It hurts worse afterwards. And go to a podiatrist rather than your family doctor. My family doctor remove the entire nail (VERY uncomfortable). When it reoccurred, the podiatrist removed a sliver and cauterized it and it healed a lot faster.
Before you take drastic measures and remove the ingrown toenail.


You should go get a pedicure.


ii was having pain in my toenail until ii went and got a pedicure felt much better.


=]


And no that doesn't hurt either.
They can sedate you.
well, yeah..

No comments:

Post a Comment