Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do I need a doctor for my ingrown toenail?

I've has an ingrown toenail for about a week. I have soaked it in epsom salt for 15 minutes for 3 days now. I also poked a hole to relieve a lot of the pressure that was causing pain in my toe. At baseball games (i wear cleats) my toe hurts really bad because of the tightness of my shoe. The only time it really hurts is when I wear my cleats. Should I go to the doctor? Also, What does the doctor do and is it painful?Do I need a doctor for my ingrown toenail?
yes you should go to a doctor. They might be able to give you an option that helps the pain.





If it's really bad they might need to remove a piece of the toenail (just the part inside the skin). They numb the toe, cut the skin a little and pull it back, cut the toe nail, clean everything and wrap it up. They wrap it in tons of cotton and stuff and you have to take good care of it but it's not too painful.Do I need a doctor for my ingrown toenail?
You need to see a podiatrist[foot doctor] it sounds like it is getting infected, and the doctor will have to determine whether or not the nail will come off. Next time, cut your nails straight across, and wear cleats and regular shoes the are not so tight on your toes. You will definitely need an antibiotic, and the infected area may have to be lanced.
If it hurts so much that it bother you then YES!!! you really should. You should tell them when it hurts and what you've done to try to relieve the pain.





They will look at it and see if they can cut the nail so that it doesn't hurt. Also if it's infected they can treat that. I've never had an experience like that so I don't know if it's painful but they might be able to give you pain killers.
if you have a small grinder,grind down your toe nail to make it thinner,then cut a ';v'; into the middle top to take the stress off of the sides.Always cut your toe nails straight across from now on,it helps,I watched a Dr.take out an in grown toe nail once,it was nasty.1st he shot up the toe,which looked very painful,then he cut down the side of the nail and took part of the nail out.Hope that helps,been there
The doctor may have to pull your entire toenail out. But that's the extreme end of treatment.





For now, you want to cut out the ingrown toenail portion, after soaking of course. Then you need to ';train'; the new growth to head up and not down %26amp; into your toe. Use a very small piece of cotton placed between the nail bed and the toe.
i agree with kja63 on this... thats the best thing u can do (train it).. ive had ingrown toenails before and thats the best u can do..make sure u dont keep cutting it shorter and shorter bc it will still grow back curved into ur skin





also, if ur cleats are the thing that bothers it most, maybe they are too small in the toe area.. u might wanna get a 1/2 size bigger so they dont rub
what i did that worked was - I rolled up a little bit of a cotton ball and tucked it under the corner of my nail that was hurting.It felt better right away and I did that for about 3 days then i was healed. I put in new cotton everyday and just covered it with a band aid.Good luck!
Yeah, you really need to see a podiatrist. Your nail needs to be trimmed. Not across the top, but down the side, possibly both sides. No it is not painful. They use a anesthetic.
No. You can go to a nail place too, they take care of those things too

No comments:

Post a Comment